Tuesday, June 11, 2013

enter chemotherapy Stage 4 lung cancer

Today after a two week break from brain radiation treatment for brain metastasis, I begin chemo for the lung cancer in my right lung with my first chemo drip from 1000 to 1600, firing two guns, Cisplatin + Alimata plus oodles of other stuff including more steroids and meds to prevent nausea at Andrews & Patel Associates in Camp Hill, PA
In my man bag I have a RX for Omdansetron ODT/ Zofran ODT 8 mg with instructions to “dissolve 1 tablet on the tongue every 8 hours as needed for nausea”

32 years ago I crawled to drink from the fountain of youth in St. Augustine, FL


16 years ago my Dad dying of Pancreatic Cancer agreed to one dose of chemo then 'no mass'.


Just 4 months ago on a quest to find other’s like me (then a Stage 1 survivor) instead I found four four year survivors and a 10 year survivor of Stage 4 lung cancer …and in their chemo lounge fell to my knees and in my best impression of Wayne & Garth from Wayne’s World when they meet Alice Cooper and began my “I am not worthy” routine. 


I am learning that the weapons of my war on lung cancer are drugs and beyond …


Indulge me a  brief side story about Cisplatin as it connects me to my young cousin, the most inspirational soul I know. Premature birth, infantile Myotonic Dystrophy, and a liver cancer DX ... the child was and is a warrior! Now 7 yrs old, he is also a 5 year liver cancer survivor! Twice this year he was hospitalized for TBI and recovered.  In my darkest moments I close my eyes and connect with his blazing eyes of the tiger.

All along right in front of me was my greatest secret

weapon my daughter. Back in February 2011 preparing for my CT Guided Biopsy, our daughter handed me her copy of “Art of War” by Sun Tzu. Curious choice I thought at the time. Hospitalized overnight as the biopsy triggered a pneumothorax, the book helped me to refocus that lung cancer was no DX but a war to live. 

Patti's niece forwarded me a link: Active Ingredient In Marijuana Kills Brain Cancer Cells


How do our children get so damn caring and wise?



“All things are ready, if our mind be so.”
― William Shakespeare, Henry V

Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/


2 comments:

  1. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete