Thursday, April 4, 2013

is "wait and watch" acceptable with lung cancer

“The Art of War” by Sun Tzu was curious reading at least to staff who asked and especially those transporting me between multiple x-rays while I was hospitalized for a pneumothorax following my CT Guided Needle Biopsy at Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill, PA last February.


“the worst calamities that befall an army arise from hesitation”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Soooo when I read “When it just wasn't good enough to "wait and watch," from a patient story on MedStar Franklin Square Lung Cancer: Thoracic Cancer Center web site, I lept from my chair fists pumping the air.

Well, HELLO City Mouse Cancer Treatment! Good Bye, Country Mouse. In Baltimore, only 85 miles away,  I believe I have found my cannon for my cancer fight. 
I emailed them on Friday, the next day I received a personal response by email asking me to call on Monday giving me the name and number of their nurse navigator. … This is the way cancer care should work!!!

“Treat patients with the respect and attention they deserve, making them feel cared for every step of the way”. “We also offer soup-to-nuts support services along the way, as well as a Thoracic Cancer Coordinator, who functions as a patient navigator, to make sure you never feel lost or confused.”

The quoted lines from their website are an understatement. The Nurse Navigator I spoke with was a godsend. My scanxiety and anxiety levels dropped as she spoke with me while at the same time my hope meter of the chances of surviving lung cancer skyrocketed.

We talked and we laughed for almost an hour. I have never felt so cared about and cared for.

She set me up with an hour appointment in three weeks with Dr. William Krimsky, Director of their Center for Interventional Pulmonology, and a national leader in interventional pulmonology and in the use of superDimension for the diagnosis and treatment of lung disease.

Other advertised positives of City Mouse Cancer Treatment have left me reeling with hope and renewed fight.

Immediately calling some friends and family, I was repeatedly told I have not sounded this excited in years.

Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/



2 comments:

  1. great news Patrick! I think you will need to celebrate! prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I'm doing a cautious happy dance!

      Delete