Sunday, March 24, 2013

country mouse vs city mouse lung cancer treatments

Would my chances of outliving lung cancer be better if I lived in, or outside a major city?

Thanks to Google I did not have to ponder long about country mouse vs city mouse medicine. "… willing to travel to receive treatment"  Special Report: Behind a cancer-treatment firm's rosy survival claims.

Reading through the lung cancer blogs in my sidebar it is kind of impossible to ignore the pilgrimages to Alice Shaw, MD at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Of course money neutralizes country mouse medicine by creating the opportunity to travel to city mouse medicine. Expanding my question to would my chances of outliving lung cancer be better if I had a pile of money or the support of income from a working spouse?

As for that working spouse … the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance found that “A woman is six times more likely to be separated or divorced soon after a diagnosis of cancer or multiple sclerosis”  

Divorce and/or separation dramatically impacts health insurance and resulting health care options beyond the loss of emotional and physical support .

Federal gridlock has ass backwards neutralized the advantage to wealth in cancer care ... “Experts at leading cancer organizations say expected cuts from the sequester will mean dramatically less money for critical cancer research—and patients not having access to lifesaving treatments.” Sequester Cuts Put More Cancer Patients at Risk of Dying, Researchers Say

Obama health law anniversary finds 2 Americas, “active sick and worried.’

For a quarter century I've thumbed my nose at the gods fighting to maximize my wife's quality of life from her progressing symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. 

Am I now reaching too far to hope to cheat my own death?

With Easter Sunday looming, cheating death is hard to ignore. 
Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment