Thursday, September 12, 2013

Stage 4 Lung Cancer Pratfalls

I was sooo excited Monday morning that the admission clerk at plasma facility used my middle name I dropped down on my knees like Wayne and Garth chanting, “I’m not worthy! … oh sheet! … I can’t get back up!" … with me stuck kneeling at the counter my daughter and staff dissolve into laughter as I begin my 130th day of chemotherapy (carboplatin + alitma).


Considering I was in for a plasma transfer for anemia the absolute weakest physical moment would be immediately prior to plasma drip … what possessed me to kneel down? … I just cannot resist showboating. 

Also it was first plasma transfer with new injection port … it’s kind of cool though certainly funky as I could not shower that area for a week … at least for me use of the port made the blood plasma less icy. 

Later ‘feeling’ super charged after two bags of plasma I drove to a local convenience store for soda and to practice some independence. Proudly cradling my 2 liter Pepsi while keeping my balance …(I had left my cane in the car and was using display cases for balance) … that is until I went to hand the Pepsi to the clerk…

Like a football field fumble chaos breaks loose …. Bottle spins on counter … spilling carbonation accelerating spin … bottle slides bottom first to floor shooting back a geyser of carbonation … I kneel down to pick up the bottle … WAIT! Did I just do this again?  

… Two young clerks are staring at this all in disbelief as I am down on the floor sheepishly holding up a still dripping 2 liter Pepsi trying to explain that I cannot get up … actually one was about to burst holding back her laughter  while the other shifted her urgency when I played the “c” word and blamed chemotherapy … 

… any way they get me up … as I retell the story at home I find my daughter laughing hysterically for the second time this day  and complaining that why when out with her I don’t do more stupidly entertaining antics. 

… trying to outlive Stage 4 Lung Cancer involves everything from exhaustion to fear to depression to joy and yes sometimes even comic relief ... 

Two weeks ago I DJ’d/MC’d 4th Annual Free To Breathe Lung Cancer 5K RUN/WALK … 3.5 months since DX of Stage 4 Lung Cancer with brain mets … receiving this thank you card was humbling …  
Patrick Leer
Health Activist:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. First, let me congratulate you on a successful port usage! If you have to go through with this, it's the best (IMHO)!!!
    Second, you "sound" better via your writing than you have. I like that!!
    Third for getting 'stuck' not just once, but twice on the same day! HA!

    Glad you are (at least to me) feeling better!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I love my port and I was told the reason this plasma transfusion was not so frigid is because the plasma is injected in a large vein to your core which warms it faster.

      getting stuck twice ... a new frontier for me :)

      Delete
  2. I just love your great sense of humor and beautiful spirit, Patrick. I do have to admit I was giggling a little bit over here as I read of your over confidence~two times. Glad you threw the 'C' bomb on the store clerks so they knew you needed some help. You must feel so great after reading that touching letter from the 'Free to Breathe' organization. Way to go Patrick! I can't imagine how your presence helped so many at that event. Thinking of you daily-Fight Fight Fight my awesome friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda ... I can't use chemotherapy as an excuse to Megan or medical staff - they just shake their heads, laugh and ask what was I thinking

      Delete
  3. At least you could use the c excuse--as for me just plain old OLD! LOL As with Jackie so glad to hear the Patrick we all love (sense of humor and all!) I wasn't just giggling, like Megan out and out laughter!! Thanks for that! Love and prayers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and glad to provide some unintended laughs in this war with cancer ...

      Delete
  4. Good to hear you are feeling better! Keep the faith - we're sending healing energy and prayers.

    SteveS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patrick. I came upon your blog as a stage 1 non small cell adenocarcinoma victim. I had my upper right lobe removed and will get my first follow up ct scan in October. My nodule was found incidentally but I was devastated, none the less. I was a smoker for the past 25 years and do not feel I or an smoker, former or current, deserve lung cancer. Do I wish that I never smoked, absolutely. Would that have guaranteed no lung cancer diagnosis? No it wouldn't have, considering all of the never smokers who have been diagnosed. I have to tell you that I read your blog from beginning to your last entry and am inspired by you. You are a remarkable man and your wife has been blessed to have you as a husband. You have raised a beautiful daughter who is strong and loving and there for you in every way. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep on keeping on. May God bless you in every way. You are a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patrick. I came upon your blog as a stage 1 non small cell adenocarcinoma victim. I had my upper right lobe removed and will get my first follow up ct scan in October. My nodule was found incidentally but I was devastated, none the less. I was a smoker for the past 25 years and do not feel I or an smoker, former or current, deserve lung cancer. Do I wish that I never smoked, absolutely. Would that have guaranteed no lung cancer diagnosis? No it wouldn't have, considering all of the never smokers who have been diagnosed. I have to tell you that I read your blog from beginning to your last entry and am inspired by you. You are a remarkable man and your wife has been blessed to have you as a husband. You have raised a beautiful daughter who is strong and loving and there for you in every way. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep on keeping on. May God bless you in every way. You are a good man.

    ReplyDelete