Monday, July 23, 2012

from inches to miles

Maybe it’s just because I’m new at this diagnosis of lung cancer but it sure feels almost tidal. Some days are up, some are down. From inches to miles two rote behaviors anchor me when lung cancer swamps me.

… from inches
Nearly a quarter century of MS spouse caregiving has taught me the critical need for always requesting and maintaining personal copies of all tests and records. What began as a folder with my copies of scan reports now is a three ring binder of scan reports, blood work, appointment notes, surgery and hospitalization records, and of course pathology reports. In addition to paper, CD’s and DVD’s are secured in pockets in the binder. … As the inches grow I feel at least a sense of order holding something tangible in the chaos.

… to miles
Losing weight on the South Beach Diet, eight years ago, I began a routine of walking two miles a day. Recovering from lung cancer surgery walking was the only exercise I was allowed. At first limited distance and no steps, then after a week my surgeon cleared me to walk all I wanted. Wanting to do something to challenge myself during recover I extended my daily walks to three miles a day while listening to audio books on CD.

Waiting in my thoracic surgeon’s office I noticed a table tent advertising a 5k (3 mile) Lung Cancer Run/Walk on City Island, one of my favorite places. Maybe it’s time to do some walking with and meeting others like me.

Reading a recent entry from the blog, A Flying Elephant Living in the Land of Lung Junk I felt like Teri was reading my mind, “Cancer is hard and scary and daunting and all kinds of tough stuff.  Going it alone?  That’s major suckage on top of major suckage, if you ask me.  It’s better together.  Really it is.”

by Patrick Leer
BLOGS:
Caregivingly Yours, MS Caregiver @ http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a great idea to do that walk, Patrick. I would think you do need a support system who has been there, doing that, done that and knows what you are dealing with, feeling, etc. Definitely not a good thing to do on your own!

    betty

    ReplyDelete