Tuesday, October 8, 2013

An Interlude, Daughter Guest Blogging from the Hospital

Don't let the title alarm you too much. Patrick is currently in the hospital and I asked if it would be okay to post an update on his behalf.

My dad mentioned low white blood cells in his last post and wondered about an infection. Last Wednesday we got our answer when I woke up and found he was unable to get up from the chair where he'd spent the night after staying up late to watch Sons of Anarchy. After arriving by ambulance at the hospital, they determined his white blood cells were the worst they'd ever been because he'd managed to contact pneumonia.

He claims I'm patient zero, I blame the cat, and who knows who she blames.

We had a scary two days where he did not respond to antibiotics, but after a 31 hour wait, we finally moved up from the emergency room into a private neutropenic hospital room. His vitals remained steady and his blood work finally began to improve.

As it is, I've made you read too much to get to the point and my dad would grade my blogging poorly! His infection is mostly gone and being fought off. He's mostly healthy again. They did the MRI scan as requested by his doctor and found only improvement and stability when compared to the one he had done in July. Dad would've hugged the doctor who told us if he could have.

But...note my overuse of the word 'mostly'. It's been two weeks since his fifth round of chemo, and he went through a huge ordeal this past week and it's left him very physically weak. He'll be discharged to somewhere that deals with inpatient physical therapy so he can regain his strength and independence.

We haven't found out where that place will be yet, but I am sure one of the first goals he will set will be to be dexterous enough that I trust him with my laptop so he can tell everyone how he's doing on his own! And don't worry he won't be able to see your comments - I fully plan to read them out loud to him, maybe even the ones from spam bots.

-Megan

19 comments:

  1. Thanks SO MUCH for posting, Megan!! I've been wondering and am glad to hear Patrick is recovering and stable-ish.
    I think this is the longest he has been away from "us" here in cyber-land and I swear, I think I've been going through withdrawals!!
    Patrick, kick the weakness, work hard in PT and get back to the real world!! DON'T STOP TAKING Vitamin D!!!

    Jackie aka Bama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Megan. I was missing his posts! Please let him know that we're thinking about him at the National Lung Cancer Partnership and Free to Breathe and hoping he starts feeling GREAT again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh---like everyone else I have been pacing the computer wondering how your Dad was. Knowing he was scheduled for an MRI last Thursday and not hearing anything was horrible, however I am sooo glad to hear that not only the MRI came back improved but that you were there to help him through this last detour. Megan, you are a special lady! Remember to take care of yourself too and thank you for letting us know how things have been. Patrick get back your strong and we will hear from you soon I am sure! Prayers Always

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    Thanks for filling in and giving us this update. Don't worry about the long post; there was a lot to tell and you did a great job! It's good to hear that Patrick is recovering from the pneumonia and that the MRI results were good. Be sure to take care of yourself.

    SteveS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Megan. I have been double kneeing it a lot through this time of silence. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Patrick, in my younger and healthier days I would now be cheering you on like a cheer leader...so just imagine an almost 63 year old lady wiith pom poms at the side of your bed shouting go ,go, go ! ! It should at least give you a laugh. Get better- we love you.
    Gayle in Edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Patrick, what a recovery :-) keep going Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan-Thanks so much for the update on Patrick. Your in my thoughts and prayers Patrick. I'm giving you a big cyber hug right now. Can you feel it????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, thanks so much for the update on your Dad. Please let him know your Grimes cousins are thinking of and praying for you !

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, thanks for the post! I was wondering what was happening when I hadn't seen anything from your Dad recently. I am glad to hear that he's recovering and doing better. Please know we are thinking and praying for both of you.

    (Cousin) Colleen Grimes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, please tell Patrick that our family is keeping him and your family in our thoughts and prayers! He's been a huge inspiration to me and I know if anyone can pull through this he can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear all this about your dad. Praying for him. Lung cancer is the most death causing disease in the world. Lung cancer treatment needs proper care after the treatment. Take care of your dad and be updated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been reading this site for awhile now, always has really good posts and topics please keep it up! loads of blogs are going under lately from lack of new posts etc
    Slip and Fall Injury

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your article is very interesting, I wait for your next article.

    greetings



    Asuransi Pendidikan

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really great information found here, I really like your blog. Thanks very much for the share. Keep posting.
    Stem Cell Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.
    Arm Pain Frankfort

    ReplyDelete
  16. that was very inspiring story, thank you for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERBAL PORTION I WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM BREAST CANCER.
    I'm here again to appreciate. DR WILLIAMS God will always continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you done in my life, I will always keep on writing good and posting my testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m Jessica from Orlando, Florida. I was tested breast cancer positive, I saw a blog on how DR WILLIAMS cured people with his herbal portion, i did not believe in natural medicine but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him,and explain my situation to him,few day later he sent me the herb, after taking doc Williams herbal medicine for few week i also got my healing with his herbal portion, i am so happy. If you have any type of cancer problem ,you can contact him on Drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,i hope this testimony also help some one out there .

    ReplyDelete